In this business, there are jobs for drilling engineers, mechanics, welders, and more. But the question still stands: Is Oilfield Services/Equipment a Good Career Path? In this post, we’ll talk about the pros and cons of a job in this field and give you information to help you make a smart choice about your future.
The oil and gas business has been an important part of the global economy for a long time, giving people from all over the world a wide range of job possibilities. People who are interested in this field are becoming more interested in oilfield services and tools, which is one of the many jobs that are available in this field.
Oilfield services and equipment could be a good job choice for people who are interested in the oil and gas business. In this business, there are jobs for drilling engineers, mechanics, welders, and more. It offers a lot of room for growth and development, as well as pay that is on par with other jobs.
It is important to keep in mind, though, that the oil and gas business can be unstable and is very dependent on the price of oil around the world. Because of this, the job market in this industry might not be stable, and you might not be able to count on keeping your job. Also, the work can be hard on your body and require you to work long hours and drive to remote areas.
Overall, oilfield services and equipment can be a rewarding job path if you are interested in the field, have the right skills and qualifications, and are willing to take on challenges. Before making a decision, it’s best to do study and understand what’s going on in the sector.
Table of Contents
Is Oilfield Services/Equipment a Good Career Path
What is oilfield services/equipment?
Oilfield services and tools are the things and services that are needed to find oil and gas in underground reservoirs, drill for it, and get it out. This field includes a wide range of jobs and businesses that provide support services and equipment to the oil and gas industry.
In the oilfield services and equipment business, people often offer drilling services, well finishing services, production services, maintenance and repair services, and other services.
This business also makes, rents, and sells tools and equipment for oil and gas production and exploration, like drill bits, pumps, valves, and pipelines. Overall, oilfield services and equipment are an important part of the oil and gas industry. They provide the help and tools that are needed to make sure that oil and gas resources are produced in a safe and efficient way.
Examples of oilfield services equipment
Oilfield services and equipment is a complex industry that includes a wide range of goods and services that are needed for oil and gas exploration, drilling, and production. Oilfield services/equipment examples include:
- Drilling Equipment: This includes drilling rigs, drill bits, drill pipes, and other specialized tools used for drilling wells.
- Completion equipment: This includes products and services required to complete a well after drilling, such as casing, tubing, pumps, and other equipment used to control the flow of oil and gas.
- Production Equipment: This includes equipment used to extract oil and gas from the well, such as pumps, separators, tanks, and other production-related equipment.
- Well Intervention Equipment: This includes equipment used to maintain and repair wells, such as coiled tubing, wireline, and other specialized tools.
- Pipeline Equipment: This includes products and services required for the transportation of oil and gas, such as pipelines, valves, and other pipeline-related equipment.
- Safety Equipment: This includes personal protective equipment (PPE) and other safety-related equipment required for working in the oilfield, such as fire extinguishers, safety glasses, and respirators.
These are just a few examples of the many products and services provided by the oilfield services/equipment sector.
What To Know About Working in Oilfield Services/Equipment
Here are some things to think about if you want to work in oilfield services or equipment:
- Safety is a Top Priority: Working in the oil and gas industry can be dangerous, and safety is always a top priority. Employers will expect you to take safety seriously and to follow all safety protocols and procedures to minimize risks.
- Physical Demands: Many jobs in oilfield services and equipment involve working in harsh environments and performing physically demanding tasks. You may be required to work long hours, lift heavy equipment, and work in extreme weather conditions.
- Technical Skills: Many jobs in this industry require specialized technical skills, such as engineering, welding, and operating heavy machinery. Employers will typically require you to have the necessary qualifications and certifications for the job you’re applying for.
- Willingness to Travel: Many jobs in oilfield services and equipment involve working in remote locations, often in other countries. If you’re considering a career in this industry, you should be prepared to travel and work away from home for extended periods.
- Volatility of the Industry: The oil and gas industry can be volatile and subject to fluctuations in global oil prices. This means that job opportunities and salaries may vary depending on market conditions.
- Teamwork: Working in oilfield services and equipment often involves working as part of a team, so it’s important to be a good team player and to have strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Commitment to Ongoing Learning: The oil and gas industry is constantly evolving, so it’s important to be committed to ongoing learning and professional development. Employers will expect you to stay up-to-date with new technologies and industry trends, and to be willing to learn new skills as needed.
Overall, working in oilfield services and equipment can be hard, but it can also be fulfilling. People with the right skills and knowledge can move up in their careers and make a lot of money.
Is Oilfield Services/Equipment a Good Career Path for You
Oilfield services and equipment could be a good job choice for people who are interested in the oil and gas business. In this business, there are jobs for drilling engineers, mechanics, welders, and more. It gives you a lot of room to grow and improve, and the pay is competitive.
But it’s important to look at the possible problems that could come with this career path. In the oil and gas business, job security may not be guaranteed because it changes based on the price of oil around the world. Also, the work can be hard on your body and require you to work long hours and drive to remote areas.
To figure out if working in oilfield services or equipment is a good career choice for you, you should study and understand the current state of the industry, evaluate your own interests and skills, and look at the possible challenges and benefits of this career path.
How Many Jobs Are Available in Oilfield Services/Equipment
The number of jobs available in oilfield services and equipment depends on the state of the business, which is affected by the price of oil around the world and other factors. But the oil and gas industry employs millions of people all over the world, and the oilfield services and equipment business is a key part of that industry’s success.
According to a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA), the oil and gas business supported about 10 million direct jobs and 30 million indirect jobs around the world in 2019. Even though the study doesn’t break down the number of jobs in the oilfield services/equipment sector, it does show how important the sector is to the industry and how it creates jobs.
In the oilfield services and equipment business, there are jobs for engineers, techs, welders, drillers, and others. The number of available jobs may vary by location, type of job, and state of the business. In the oilfield services and equipment area, there are many jobs for people who are interested in the oil and gas business.
Essential Skills for Working in Oilfield Services and Equipment
To work in oilfield services and tools, you need a lot of different skills and knowledge. Some of the skills you need to work in this field are:
- Technical Skills: Many jobs in oilfield services and equipment require specialized technical skills, such as welding, engineering, operating heavy machinery, or working with complex computer systems.
- Safety Awareness: Working in the oil and gas industry can be dangerous, so it’s important to have a strong awareness of safety procedures and protocols. This includes following safety guidelines, using appropriate protective equipment, and knowing how to respond in the event of an emergency.
- Communication Skills: Many jobs in this industry require good communication skills, as you may need to work with a team of colleagues, communicate with clients, or give instructions to others.
- Problem-Solving Skills: The oil and gas industry often involves complex technical challenges and problem-solving, so it’s important to have good critical thinking and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues as they arise.
- Time Management Skills: Many jobs in oilfield services and equipment require working on tight schedules and meeting strict deadlines, so it’s important to have good time management skills and be able to prioritize tasks effectively.
- Adaptability: The oil and gas industry is constantly evolving, so it’s important to be adaptable and willing to learn new skills as needed.
- Physical Fitness: Many jobs in this industry involve working in harsh environments and performing physically demanding tasks, so it’s important to be physically fit and able to meet the demands of the job.
5 Best Paying Jobs in Oilfield Services/Equipment
The oil and gas industry is known for having jobs with good pay, and the oilfield services and equipment area is no different. Here are some of the best-paying jobs in oilfield services and equipment:
- Petroleum Engineer: Petroleum engineers design and develop methods for extracting oil and gas from reservoirs. They may oversee drilling operations and analyze data to determine the best methods for extraction. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for petroleum engineers in the United States was $138,020 as of May 2020.
- Drilling Engineer: Drilling engineers design and implement drilling programs for oil and gas wells. They may also supervise drilling operations and ensure safety and compliance with regulations. The median annual salary for drilling engineers in the United States was $107,320 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
- Geoscientist: Geoscientists study the earth’s composition and structure to identify locations with oil and gas deposits. They may use geological surveys and other data to determine the best drilling locations. The median annual salary for geoscientists in the United States was $93,580 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
- Mechanical Engineer: Mechanical engineers design and develop equipment used in oil and gas extraction, such as drilling rigs and pipelines. They may also oversee maintenance and repairs of equipment. The median annual salary for mechanical engineers in the United States was $88,430 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
- Welder: Welders are responsible for welding metal parts and structures used in the construction and maintenance of oil and gas wells and pipelines. The median annual salary for welders in the United States was $45,190 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
Note that salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and employer.
Benefits Of Oilfield Services and Equipment Careers
There are several benefits to pursuing a career in oilfield services and equipment, including:
- High Earning Potential: The oil and gas industry is known for offering high salaries, and the oilfield services and equipment sector is no exception. Many jobs in this industry offer competitive salaries, particularly for those with specialized skills and experience.
- Career Growth Opportunities: The oil and gas industry is constantly evolving, which means there are often opportunities for career growth and advancement. Additionally, many companies in this sector offer training programs and other opportunities for employees to develop new skills and advance their careers.
- Job Security: While the oil and gas industry can be volatile and dependent on global oil prices, it is also an essential industry that is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. This means that jobs in this sector can offer a certain level of job security.
- Travel Opportunities: Many jobs in the oilfield services and equipment sector involve travel to remote locations, which can be an attractive perk for those who enjoy adventure and exploring new places.
- Technical and Problem-Solving Challenges: Many jobs in this sector involve complex technical challenges and problem-solving, which can be rewarding for individuals who enjoy intellectual challenges and working with cutting-edge technology.
- Opportunities to Work on Important Projects: The oil and gas industry plays a crucial role in meeting global energy demands, and working in this industry can provide opportunities to work on important projects that contribute to society’s needs.
Aqua Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd
Aqua Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd is a company in Singapore that sells equipment and services to the oil and gas business. The company offers tools for drilling and finishing, equipment for production and processing, and engineering and consulting services.
Aqua Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd is dedicated to giving its customers high-quality equipment and services, and it has teamed up with industry leaders to do this. The company has a team of experts with a lot of experience who are dedicated to finding the best answers for each client’s needs.
Aqua Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd sells and provides drilling equipment like drill bits and downhole tools, production equipment like wellhead systems and valves, and engineering and consulting services like wellsite control and project management.
The company has a strong name for reliability and quality, and it is committed to finding unique solutions for its clients. Because it has a lot of experience and knowledge in the oil and gas industry, Aqua Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd is a good partner for businesses that need reliable equipment and services to run their businesses.
What is the Salary of Oilfield Services/Equipment Workers?
The salaries of people who work in oilfield services and equipment can vary a lot based on a number of factors, such as the type of job, the amount of experience, the area, and the company or employer.
According to statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage for oil and gas extraction workers in the United States (which includes oilfield services and equipment) was $56,230 in May 2020. But people’s earnings in this area of work could be very different.
According to the BLS, petroleum engineers make a median annual salary of $137,720 and drilling supervisors make a median annual salary of $95,380. These are two of the best-paying jobs in the oilfield services and equipment business. On the other hand, some entry-level jobs, such as floorhands or roustabouts, may have a lower starting pay.
In the oilfield services and equipment industry, salaries can also be affected by the market, since the industry is affected by changes in the price of oil around the world. But there are a lot of job possibilities in this field.
Who Dominates this Industry? What is the Market Share?
There is a lot of competition in the oilfield services and equipment market, but only a few big companies rule the roost. ResearchAndMarkets says that these five companies will be the top five in the global oilfield services market in 2020:
- Schlumberger Ltd. – 12.5% market share
- Halliburton Company – 9.9% market share
- Baker Hughes Company – 6.2% market share
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc. – 4.4% market share
- Weatherford International Plc – 2.8% market share
In 2020, these five companies made up about 36% of the oilfield services market around the world. TechnipFMC, S.A., Saipem S.p.A., and China Oilfield Services Ltd. are all well-known companies in their fields.
Individual companies’ market shares may change over time because of things like changes in the business, the economy, and government regulations. But these top players have a strong presence in the market and are expected to be big players in the years to come.
How do I Find a Job in this Sector?
In the oilfield services and equipment industry, there are many ways to find work:
- Job Search Websites: Use popular job search websites such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn to find job openings in the industry. You can search by keywords such as “oilfield services” or “oilfield equipment” to find relevant jobs.
- Company Websites: Visit the websites of companies that specialize in oilfield services and equipment to look for job postings. You can often find a careers or jobs section on their website where they list current openings.
- Industry Events: Attend industry events such as conferences, trade shows, and job fairs to meet potential employers and learn about job opportunities.
- Networking: Network with professionals in the industry through online networking sites like LinkedIn, or attend industry events to meet people in the field.
- Staffing Agencies: Consider working with staffing agencies that specialize in the oil and gas industry. They can often help match you with relevant job openings based on your skills and experience.
Pros and Cons of an Oilfield Services/Equipment
|High earning potential||Long and irregular work hours|
|Opportunity for travel and working in remote areas||Physically demanding work|
|Opportunity for advancement and career growth||Exposure to safety hazards and environmental risks|
|Job stability and demand even during economic downturns||Dependency on oil and gas industry fluctuations|
|Chance to work with advanced technology and equipment||Limited work-life balance|
|Opportunity for training and development||Potentially high stress work environment|
|Working with a diverse team from different backgrounds||Limited job opportunities in some geographic areas|